This week's podcast featured a discussion on the valuable practice of pressing reset in your marriage. We’ve all had the unfortunate experience of the technology we rely on not functioning properly. Our anxiety level grows only to find that all it needed was a reset. Our marriage can also experience renewal and growth through an intentional reset.
Understanding the Need to Reset
When living out the day-to-day in our marriage, it’s easy to get into the rut of simply carrying out what needs to be done. Romance seems to be a distant memory.
Consider these questions in determining the need for a reset in your marriage:
- Is there a consistent breakdown in communication? The feeling that you can never come to an agreement on most things.
- Are unresolved conflicts fostering resentment?
- Is there a lack of intimacy?
- Do you seem to be emotionally distant from one another?
If you resonate with any of these, it may be time for a reset.
Steps to Pressing Reset in Your Marriage
- Examine where your marriage relationship is today and where you want it to be. Celebrate all the areas of strength and agree on where improvements need to be made.
- Breathe life and revitalize communication by ensuring that you are being open and honest with each other. Practice active listening and kindness. (Eph 4:32)
- Explore new activities together.
- Commit to spending quality time together. Unplug from all the distractions and focus on deep connection with one another.
Pressing reset in your marriage is a deliberate acknowledgment of where you’ve been coupled with an embrace of God’s plan for a future. A future that breathes life, instills hope, and fosters unity not only within your marriage but also in the relationships that ripple from it.
Check out our podcast with more on this topic here!